Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Intro

I am currently a 20- something engineering student from the north living in the south for the summer.

I would probably call myself a socially liberal person... so lets just say I'm working with quite a few hicks and I'm not particularly fond of that. One of my favorite conversations since I got down here was about Muslims...

I'm in one of my co-workers offices and one of the truly hick men is in there. He mentions the fact that in Detroit there is the largest concentration of Arabs outside of the Middle East. Lets just start with the fact that he was using Muslim and Arab interchangeably. They are not the same thing, Many Arabs are Muslim, but not all and many Muslims are Arab, but not all. I brought that little fact to his attention and he proceeded to call all "Mus lums" car bombers and that they were trying to get over here to take over our politics like Obama. I decided to just end the conversation there... there really is no way to win with ignorance like that.

I also had a nice little discussion about Multiculturalism, his response "they are moving to the U S of A and they should learn to love it." I'm sure this summer will lead to many more interesting conversations.

I'm also an avid runner, so you will probably see a lot about my running adventures in the heat (I swear I almost died).

That is all for now, stay classy bloggers!!!

No comments: